The LPD Records Department would like to remind residents possessing a MA Firearms License of any type to contact the LPD Records Department a minimum of five(5) months before your Firearms license expires. This is in order to ensure the timely processing of the renewal.
If your firearms license is due to expire in less than 5 months, we recommend that you please contact the Records Department to schedule an appointment.
Please keep in mind that Massachusetts no longer has a grace period for expired firearms licenses. However, once you have completed the application renewal process, you are considered to have effectively renewed your permit and provided a receipt of renewal by the Department which you may use until your new permit arrives from the Mass. Firearms Records Bureau. If for some reason there are extraordinary circumstances preventing your renewal, you will be provided notice.
Apply for a Massachusetts License To Carry (LTC) or Firearms Identification Card (FID)
The Ludlow Police Department provides the following services to Ludlow residents and business owners. You must make an appointment in order to submit both renewal and firearms license applications. If you already have an FID or LTC, but your address has changed, please download and submit this LTC/FID change of address form.
Firearms Identification Card (FID)
Firearms Identification Card (FID): Massachusetts requires persons to have a Firearms Identification Card in order to lawfully purchase or possess a rifle or shotgun. You must be 18 to apply for an FID, or 14 – 17 with the submission of a certificate of parent or guardian granting permission to apply for an FID Card; an FID card won’t be issued until the individual is 15. The application cost of an FID is $100.00, or $25 if the individual is under 18. The license is good for 6 years.
License to Carry Firearms (LTC)
License to Carry Firearms (LTC): Massachusetts requires persons to have a License to Carry Firearms in order to lawfully purchase or possess a handgun. A valid LTC will also allow persons to lawfully possess and purchase rifles or shotguns. You must be 21 to apply for an LTC. The application cost of an LTC is $100.00 and the license is good for 6 years.
Eligibility Requirements for a License to Carry Firearms (LTC):
- The following are permanent disqualifiers for an LTC:
- Any felony conviction.
- Any drug violation conviction.
- Any violent crime conviction.
- Any misdemeanor conviction punishable by more than two years imprisonment.
- LTC Applicants must:
- be a citizen of the United States, and must submit proof of citizenship. Naturalized citizens must submit your Certificate of Naturalization.
- be a legal resident of Ludlow or own a business in Ludlow.
- be at least 21 years of age.
- not have any outstanding warrants against you.
- not be defendant of a current restraining order, suspension or surrender order.
- wait five years if you have been treated or confined for drug addiction or alcoholism and submit an affidavit from a registered physician stating that you have been cured.
- submit an affidavit from a registered physician if you have been confined to a hospital or institution for mental illness. The affidavit must state that that the physician is familiar with your condition and that in their opinion there is no reason why you should not possess a handgun, rifle or shotgun.
Massachusetts LTC/FID Application Instructions
- Download the LTC/FID application/renewal form.
- Fill out your application completely, and truthfully.
- Print your application clearly and neatly, and provide your current telephone number.
- When selecting a license type, only select one type.
- Provide two references as requested.
When submitting your application please provide the following:
- A copy of your current Massachusetts Basic Firearms Safety Certificate.
- A copy of your Massachusetts Hunter Safety Certificate (for FID cards only).
- A copy of your proof of citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization.
- Proof of Residency. (Massachusetts Driver’s license, I.D. or School I.D.)
- Application fee of $100.00 (money order or bank check) NO personal checks accepted.
- (3) Letters of Recommendation are necessary when applying for a new LTC; these letters will be from persons (not relatives) you have known for five years or longer who will vouch for your suitability to possess a firearm. Must have an original signature (not photocopied), contact information and phone number.
- LTC and FID renewal applicants must fill out and sign a lost/stolen firearms affidavit.
*Prior to signing and submitting your completed LTC/FID application, read the warning regarding submitting an application with false information. False information may result in criminal charges and WILL result in your application being denied. If your application for an LTC or FID is denied, you will be notified by mail with a letter explaining the reason(s) for being denied. Your notice will also advise you of your right to appeal the decision to the appropriate District Court.
Recent changes to Massachusetts firearms laws now require LTC and FID applicants to provide a signed affidavit of lost/stolen firearms. This only applies to those renewing their licenses.
When you arrive at the Ludlow Police Department for your appointment, you will be interviewed, fingerprinted, and photographed. At that time you will receive a receipt of your application having been received and processed.
As stated previously, please print your applications as neatly and clearly as you can. If your telephone number or any other information cannot be read, your application WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
When your application has been processed it will be submitted to the Massachusetts Firearms Records Bureau for final review. The time it takes for the State to process, approve, and deliver your license is out of the Ludlow Police Department’s hands. PLEASE refrain from multiple calls inquiring about your firearms license. When your LTC or FID is delivered for activation, you will be notified by telephone of your license is ready and you will be scheduled to pick up your firearms license.
To schedule an appointment and for more information, please contact the Records Department:
(413) 583-8305 ext. 2217
(413) 583-8305 ext. 2218